MAR-MAY 2021 : Welcome to the WGT Spring Series 2021: The place where Welsh and Scottish triathletes do battle!
We all hoped we’d have some actual spring racing outdoors, but we’re going to have to wait a little longer. Consider this series the next best thing, as it has been designed to leave you sharp for your summer multi-sport events. Let the racing resume between Welsh Triathlon and Triathlon Scotland athletes!
This is a 7 round competition, comprising 5 Zwift cycling rounds and 2 outdoor running rounds – a 5km and 10km run TT. You must complete 5 out of 7 rounds to qualify overall.
Spring Series fixtures:
All Zwift fixtures are on Saturday at 10:05 GMT (with options to do Bologna TT on different days). Links to the races will be emailed out in the week before each fixture. Races will last between 30 mins and 2hrs30 in total. There will be both mass starts and time trials. Runs will be flexible as follows:
A big “thank you” to 3R for letting us join their race slot on Saturday. Find out more about 3R here
Spring series details
- You will be competing in AGE GROUP categories, both as individuals, for your tri clubs and also for your home nations: It’s the saltires vs the dragons all over again!
- All abilities are welcome from race cats A-D
- There will be prizes on offer and the first appearance of official WGT merchandise
- We are pleased to welcome back our long-time WGT sponsor: Clifton Coffee
- their coffee tastes great, they source 95% of it direct from origin and will once again be rewarding those podium positions. There will be a choice of beans, ground or capsules from a variety of sources and coffee-growing co-operatives
- Find out more about Clifton Coffee
- Join the Facebook group for results, team collages, race updates, and plenty of friendly chat between clubs
- Updates will also be on Twitter using the hashtag #wintergrandtour
- All riders must be registered on Zwift power . This will be the SOLE source of race results so entering the correct race categories and being signed up is key. See more in “signing up” below
- If you want extra Zwift geek points your clubs are encouraged to choose the same in-game jersey 😎
Output / performance validation
Zwift is a game, and whilst we expect some minor variations in virtual race performances, we want the series results to be as fair as possible for all competitors. There will be a 4-tier system of performance validation in place and everyone has a role to play:
- As an individual: Check your bodyweight is accurate, and up-to-date on Zwift and ZwiftPower. Also make sure you regularly calibrate your trainer
- As a club-mate: Check your performances against other athletes you know and race/train with. If there are huge disparities, there’s obviously something wrong, so get it sorted and let us know asap
- Video weigh-ins: these will start after 3 rounds. Podium occupants will be selected at random and requested to produce pre-race weigh in videos. These only take a few minutes and have worked well in the past. They are private and deleted after verification.
- Team challenges: Ideally we don’t want things to get this far, but if two different teams challenge the same rider’s metrics, further action will be taken and that rider will need to validate their performances by either using a secondary power source or another method
If you’ve raced the WGT before, you will have received a registration email. If you haven’t, please contact your tri club captain.
For those new to the WGT, a big welcome. Your Saturday mornings will never be the same again! You will hopefully push your own personal boundaries and develop some lasting rivalries that you can carry out into the real world.